Smoothie Season: Top 6 Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Smoothie Recipes
Summer is here, which means smoothie season is upon us. But when you’re gluten-free and dairy-free (or vegan!), not all smoothies are created equal. Before you start scouring the internet for delicious smoothie recipes that fit your dietary restrictions, take five to read our round-up of the best gluten-free and dairy-free smoothie recipes the blogosphere has to offer.
Picture yourself whipping up these quick, flavorful, and healthy smoothie recipes on a hot summer day. Whether you’re craving a cold mocha blend or a fruity refreshment, these are the six gluten-free and dairy-free recipes to fuel your summer fun.
1. The Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
Is it really even summer if you’re not lapping up a melted creamsicle on a scorching hot day? We think not. Courtesy of Blissful Basil, this Orange Creamsicle Smoothie recipe tastes just like the melting orange creamsicles of your childhood, but with the real fruit and energizing nutrients you crave now. Whip up this 5-ingredient smoothie in under five minutes.
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 orange peeled and seeded
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup ice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- optional superfood add-in: 1 tsp baobab powder
2. The Green Machine Smoothie
The ultimate green smoothie is a combination of fresh greens balanced by fresh fruit and a healthy liquid base of your choice. If you’re ready to advance from Green Smoothies 101, start experimenting with adding fresh herbs to your smoothies. This “Kermit’s Delight” smoothie recipe from Gluten Free and More packs a complex combination of flavors without sacrificing health benefits.
- ½ ripe pear
- ½ cucumber
- 1 cup spinach
- 5-6 fresh mint leaves
- ½ avocado
- Juice of one lime or lemon
- ½ cup of water or coconut water
3. Triple Berry Smoothie
If you’re doing summer right, you have a refrigerator stocked with a variety of fresh berries from your local farmers’ market. This Triple Berry Smoothie recipe from Beaming Baker is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, paleo, and delicious. Not a fan of bananas? Swap out the bananas for mango or papaya.
- 2 medium bananas, sliced and frozen
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup frozen or fresh strawberries
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1 cup frozen or fresh raspberries
- Optional: add a handful of ice if berries aren’t frozen
4. The Mocha Smoothie
What’s better than your morning cup of coffee? A morning cup of chocolate mocha, served chilled and creamy. Skip the trip to Starbucks and whip up your own morning mocha with this Quick Morning Mocha Smoothie recipe from Sprinkle of Green. If you’re feeling guilty about starting your morning with chocolate, don’t – the recipe calls for cacao, the purest form of chocolate you can consume, that just so happens to be packed with natural antioxidants, magnesium, and more.
- ½ cup of fresh black coffee
- ½ cup of almond milk
- ½ banana, sliced and frozen
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cacao
- 2 dates, pits removed
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- Handful of ice
5. Carrot Beet Berry Smoothie
If you’re looking for a smoothie recipe that packs more veggies and fills you up, this Carrot Beet Berry smoothie recipe from Simple Green Smoothies is for you. Bonus: this is also a Whole 30 green smoothie recipe, which means it only uses whole, unprocessed foods and no sugar. Whether you’re on the Whole30 diet or not, this recipe is a great way to eat your vegetables without having to, you know, eat any vegetables.
- 2 cups baby kale
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 small beet peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 medium banana
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Optional: ¼ fresh mint and/or ½-inch piece of fresh ginger
6. The Detox Smoothie
The BBQs, grill-outs, and bonfires of summer often come with beer, booze, and plenty of not-so-great-for-you (but delicious!) food. That’s where the detox smoothie comes in. The Minimalist Baker comes through yet again with a great recipe for the morning after, when you want to refresh and reset your body. This Vegan Detox Smoothie is a simple fix packed with superfoods and, thankfully, just five clean ingredients.
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 1 cup organic spinach or kale
- ½ cup banana, sliced and frozen
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 cup fresh fruit juice (like orange or pomegranate)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons silken tofu
What are your favorite gluten-free and dairy-free smoothie recipes? Share your go-to recipes in the comments below!